When it comes to our cultural moment, how do we actually define gender? What do male and female mean? Without Scripture as our guide, here is the issue our culture faces when defining gender.
- You can’t define gender according to biology. That would discount all transgender individuals.
- You can’t define gender according to attraction. That would reject all gays and lesbians.
- You can’t define gender according to socially constructed gender norms. That would make you a sexist.
- Therefore, gender male/female means whatever you want it to mean and becomes meaningless.
- In this case, what does it even mean to identify according to a certain gender?
As confusing as this may be, I do believe that an understanding of the Postmodern worldview will help us understand each side better. Listen or watch this week’s podcast as I go into further detail.
Don’t like podcasts? Here is the YouTube video!
How would you define male or female? Comment below!
You can follow the Coffeehouse Questions Podcast and have it automatically downloaded to your device by subscribing on iTunes. If you don’t have iTunes, find the podcast and follow on SoundCloud or search “Coffeehouse Questions with Ryan Pauly” on your Android podcast player. Finally, if you’d rather stick to the radio, you can listen to the show on 100.1 KGBA every Saturday night from 9-9:30 PT.
Like the Facebook page, follow on Instagram, or subscribe on YouTube to interact with Ryan and his guests on future shows. Your questions and comments help to make the show more interactive. Go ahead and send in those questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (@ryanpauly3), or by text at (714) 989-6927 (Google Voice number for texts only). Finally, don’t forget to give it a rating on your podcast app and find me on Patreon if you enjoy what you hear!