Live your truth. Follow your heart. You only have one life to live. God just wants you to be happy. Love is love. These cultural statements flood our news feeds and sound so positive, but are they true? In order to Think Well we must discern the messages we see and compare them to biblical truth.
Alisa Childers joins me to discuss her new book, “Live Your Truth and Other Lies: Exposing Popular Deceptions That Make Us Anxious, Exhausted, and Self-Obsessed.” This show will help you evaluate popular lies by looking at what Scripture has to say.
Alisa is a speaker, writer, and podcaster. She authored the popular book, Another Gospel?, and has published at The Gospel Coalition, Crosswalk, The Stream, For Every Mom, Decision magazine, and The Christian Post. Alisa was a member of the award-winning CCM recording group ZOEgirl.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 1:52 Where did the idea for your new book come from?
- 4:14 The lies discussed in the book “Live Your Truth and Other Lies”
- 4:30 Why are people drawn to these lies?
- 8:15 Where do you see people presenting these lies?
- 11:02 A response to common yard signs around your neighborhood.
- 16:45 Lie 1 – Live your truth.
- 21:41 What if someone uses “speak your truth” to encourage people to share their experiences?
- 24:45 How do you determine what is objective vs subjective truth?
- 29:43 Lie 2 – You are enough.
- 34:05 You can’t do everything on your own. You need help for almost everything in life.
- 36:15 What if someone used “you are enough” to encourage someone that they are the way God has created them to be and they are valuable?
- 39:31 What if “you are enough” is used to encourage people that they don’t have to fix themselves before coming to Christ?
- 42:32 Lie 3 – God just wants me to be happy.
- 50:30 Lie 4 – Authenticity is everything
- 55:58 Where is the hope in dying to self and living for Christ?
Get your copy of Live Your Truth and Other Lies: Exposing Popular Deceptions That Make Us Anxious, Exhausted, and Self-Obsessed!
Watch the show LIVE by subscribing on YouTube. Do you prefer to listen? Subscribe to the Think Well Podcast and have it automatically downloaded to your device on iTunes, SoundCloud, Spotify, Amazon Music, or search “Think Well” on your Android podcast player. Don’t forget to give it a rating! Finally, if you’d rather stick to the radio, you can listen to the show on 100.1 KGBA every Saturday night from 9-10 pm PST.
Like the Facebook page, follow on Instagram, or subscribe on YouTube to interact with Ryan and his guests on future shows. Your questions and comments help to make the show more interactive. Go ahead and send in those questions to email@example.com, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (@ryanpauly3), or by text at (714) 989-6927 (Google Voice number for texts only).
If you have received something of value from this ministry and want to give back, or if you want to help us continue producing content that trains Christians to engage the culture with a biblical worldview, would you prayerfully consider partnering with us by either giving a one-time gift or a monthly donation? More information can be found on the giving page.
Leave a Reply